How is Distance Learning transforming Higher Education?

Education contributes to the formation of human beings as productive citizens, besides bringing meaning to their lives. Therefore, it is considered as the bedrock of the socio-economic, cultural and political uplift of society.

By providing opportunities for proper education to the people, a country becomes able to protect them against discriminations, provide opportunities, and make them empowered in every aspect of life in the true sense. But the rising cost in for-profit organisations and limited seats at limited colleges are acting as barricades against people’s dreams.

 

Higher education - Distance Learning

Let’s look at the statistics to understand it better.

The workforce participation rate at all India is 25.51 per cent for female, and 53.26 per cent for male. Unfulfilled job roles, while there is a requirement, proves that there is a lack of adequate skills among these people.

The traditional degree is one way to fulfil this requirement. However, in a country like India, the irony is that the number of degree takers and degree holders from institutes is very few compared to the total population.

At present, there are 758 universities, 39071 colleges, and 11922 stand-alone institutions in India. However, despite this large number of Universities and colleges, access to higher education is a dream for a large sum of India’s population.

In higher education, only 54 per cent male are able to enrol; on the other hand, females have 46 % enrolment rate (Educational Statistics at a Glance 2016 and AISHE, 2016)

What do these numbers mean? It means that a considerable gap exists between availability and consumption.

How is online/distance learning changing this scenario?

 

Distance learning for higher education

 

Distance learning can be raised as an alternative way for creating and making education as accessible as possible and for providing the scope to get skill-based education at a minimum cost.

However, the reasons for the emergence of distance learning institutions and online learning platforms are manifold. Some of these reasons include the popularity of global-lifelong learning as well as blended learning, the quick expansion of multimedia technology, widespread internet and more.


 

Related Post - Why Distance Learning is Better than Traditional Learning?

 


The rise of distance learning is also synchronous to three economic advantages

1) Less bricks, more clicks

Distance education reduces the need for investing in new infrastructures such as classrooms, dormitories, campus centres, and athletic facilities.

2) Course utilisation, source optimisation

Minimal required and appropriate technology is already available to an increasing number of students, e.g. internet, phones and laptops.

3) Minimum cost, maximum output

Universities invest in portals, courseware management systems, and the necessary hardware and software to run a distance learning institute. And that’s all it needs.

While institutes are reaping advantages, students are also munching results. Learn from anywhere, anytime, anyhow saves time, money and energy. Especially working professionals can join the course and start learning without worrying about commute time, hefty fees, fixed hours and more.

In a conclusive statement, we can say that distance learning is an excellent supplement, but it’s not a substitute for face to face learning. Nevertheless, it helps a lot of people to pursue higher education.


 

Related Post - Is Distance Education Valid for Private Jobs?

 


 

comments
0